It was official, we had arrived in America and raring to get started! San Francisco was the first stop of our 30 day roadtrip.
We stayed in San Bruno which is approximately 12 miles South of downtown San Francisco and conveniently located right next to the Airport. However the Uber into the city was $40 consequently becoming quite pricey if you travel back and fourth. Our first stop was for a SIM card. The best deal we found was with T-mobile who offered unlimited data for $50 for 30 days.
Arriving in the city and feeling a bit lost we decided the best way to see the city was to take a hop on hop off Big Bus tour. $50 will get you onboard and most importantly to all the main tourist areas all day. The very passionate tour guides will give you all the facts as you weave your way through the city.
Our top highlights:
• Painted ladies; A must see with fantastic views over the city. See these famous houses which are now worth $$$$$$$$.
• Golden gate bridge. Bear in mind throughout the summer months it is common for there to be a constant fog. This is caused from the cold winds of the Pacific colliding with the warm California air subsequently ruining those great photos.
• Haight Ashbury – Known as the ‘hippy’ part of the city. Find colourful buildings, amazing coffee & smoothie stores and meet some of the friendliest locals.
• Fisherman Warf – Known as the tourist trap, find here a range of drinking and eating options and enjoy watching the seals playing in the harbour.
• Alcatraz – Make sure you book as there can be up to a 3 month wait! As we found out.
• Lombard Street – 8 sharp turns make it the most crooked street in the world. Definitely worth checking out.
Finally, if you would like some deliciously fresh baked pastries get yourself to Mr. Holmes Bakehouse.
Our conclusion on San Francisco:
Great city to spend a couple days exploring. Unfortunately we cannot comment on the nightlife however we heard good stories. Staying in the city can be expensive and choose your location wisely as there are some known unsafe areas.
Up next will be about the 3 days we spent in Yosemite National Park.